By DiAnn Mills @DiAnnMills
When a writer grows tired of social media and dreads creating a blog or post, it’s time to create new ideas. So how is this accomplished when a writer feels like she’s scraping the bottom of inspiration?
Writers can’t find fresh vision while sitting in front of a computer screen.
We need to:
- Climb out of our comfort zone.
- Do something different.
- Free out hearts and minds of all things mundane.
|Look at nature with awe and wonder|
The following suggestions may excite you to explore new ways to build your followers while filling the needs of your present ones.Grab your keys and take a drive through the country.
- What do you see in nature?
- Snap a picture and create a meme. Add a humorous or serious line that reflects the writing life.
- Take a short video.
- Relax and allow your imagination to soar.
Slip into your walking shoes and explore a new walking trail.
- Listen to the sounds of nature.
- Observe animals in their own habitat. Stand still and watch how they live and move.
- Make your own path and note the satisfaction.
- How does the weather affect your attitude?
- Use Instagram!
Dig in the dirt—pull weeds and plant flowers.
- How does beautifying the exterior of your home open your mind?
- Are you hands dirty or are you wearing gloves?
- Translate the before and after pic into a meaningful post.
- Forget about time and embrace the outdoors.
|Express your creativity|
Express your creativity in another venue—dance, paint, sculpture, needlework, photography, play a musical instrument, etc.
- Play soft music while your hands are busy.
- Can each step be an instructional video?
- What analogies can you weave?
- Does the project spark new interest in social media?
Talk to God about your lack of enthusiasm and interest in promoting your work. He does have answers.
- Read Scripture as though having a conversation with God.
- Pray for direction in your writing career dilemma.
- Be sure to listen.
In each instance above, the writer is encouraged to allow the surroundings nurture and energize her creative spirit. A writer who can free herself of the familiar allows the gift of communication to take a new direction. The experiences can be blended into social media messages that heighten the awareness of the writer’s brand, deepen the value of what is offered to followers, and speak to followers in a fresh new way.
How do you find unique material for social media?
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She combines unforgettable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels.
Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. Library Journal presented her with a Best Books 2014: Genre Fiction award in the Christian Fiction category for Firewall.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers; a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association; International Thriller Writers, and the Faith, Hope, and Love chapter of Romance Writers of America. She is co-director of The Author Roadmap with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on any of the social media platforms listed at www.diannmills.com.